Friday, September 11, 2026

All things girly

Friendship: The Longest Situationship

I've been thinking about love lately.

Not the kind where a man sends you flowers because he finally remembered your birthday.

I'm talking about the kind where your best friend sends you a 17-minute voice memo
because she saw a TikTok that reminded her
of something you did in 2022.

Friendship.

The relationship where you can say, “I literally hate everyone,” and someone immediately responds, “Okay, but what's wrong?”

Because your friends know.

They know the embarrassing stories.

The questionable outfits.

The bad decisions.

The even worse men.

They've watched you make the exact mistake they warned you about and, instead of saying “I told you so,” they say:

“Okay... but let's talk about it.”

Which is friendship code for:

I told you so, but I love you too much to enjoy this.

The funny thing about best friends is that you can spend an entire afternoon complaining about each other and then become absolutely enraged when someone else does it.

“She's so annoying.”

“Yeah, she really is.”

“EXCUSE ME? Nobody asked you to agree.”

Suddenly we're lawyers.

Your honor, my client is annoying, but she's MY annoying person.

And isn't that what friendship really is?

It's having someone who knows exactly how ridiculous you are and chooses to remain in the group chat anyway.

It's sending each other pictures of outfits with absolutely no context.

It's knowing when “I'm fine” means I'm fine and when “I'm fine” means cancel everything, we're going to Starbucks.

It's laughing until your stomach hurts over something that absolutely should not be funny.

It's the five-minute goodbye that somehow becomes another two hours of talking in the parking lot.

It's saying, “Okay, I'm going home,” and then somehow ending up discussing your entire future, childhood trauma, celebrity gossip, someone's boyfriend, and whether bangs would ruin your life.

Friendship is also humbling.

Because who else would lovingly tell you:

“Babe, that outfit is not happening.”

“Girl, don't text him.”

“You've told me this story six times.”

“You cannot date every man who makes eye contact with you.”

And somehow you listen.

Eventually.

Maybe.

After doing exactly what they told you not to do.

But beneath all the jokes, there's something incredibly beautiful about having people who know the unedited version of you.

Not the Instagram version.

Not the “I have my life together” version.

The version eating fries in the car, crying over something stupid, laughing at the worst possible moment, changing outfits seven times, and sending “ARE YOU AWAKE?” at midnight because you've suddenly had a life-changing thought.

Those are the people who become part of your history.

The ones who remember who you were before you figured yourself out.

And maybe that's why friendship can feel like its own kind of love story.

There are no grand gestures.

No dramatic airport scenes.

Just someone remembering your coffee order.

Someone saving you the last fry.

Someone answering the phone when you're spiraling.

Someone knowing you need a hug before you even ask.

And occasionally someone saying:

“Girl. Be serious.”

Which, honestly, may be the purest form of love there is.

Because romantic love might give you butterflies.

But friendship?

Friendship gives you evidence.

Evidence that you've been loved through every weird phase, questionable decision, terrible haircut, bad date, identity crisis, and completely unnecessary emotional breakdown.

And maybe years from now, we'll forget half the things we cried about.

We'll forget the boys.

We'll forget the drama.

We'll forget why we were so convinced that one text message was going to determine the course of human history.

But we'll remember who was sitting next to us laughing.

And isn't that the real love story?

Not finding someone who completes you.

But finding the people who make being yourself so much more fun.

Even when you're all slightly insane.

Especially then.



2 comments: