I LOVE YOU, BUT WHY HIM?
Is there anything more humbling than watching your friend fall in love with a man you wouldn't let babysit your houseplant?
Because sometimes being a good friend means letting people make their own decisions.
Very questionable.
Like “girl, you dated him ON PURPOSE?” questionable.
And that's the hard part.
You can give advice.
You can ask thoughtful questions.
You can gently point out the red flags.
You can even create a PowerPoint presentation titled “Reasons We Need To Reconsider This Man.”
But at the end of the day, it's their life.
Their heart.
Their mistake.
And apparently, their personal journey through the School of Hard Knocks.
So you sit there smiling like:
“I'm happy for you!”
While your inner monologue is screaming:
“ARE WE SURE?!”
Because you don't want to control your friend's love life. You just wish their romantic decision-making had the same quality control as their Starbucks order.
And maybe that's friendship.
Knowing when to speak.
Knowing when to shut up.
And knowing that sometimes your friend has to touch the proverbial hot stove herself before she believes you when you say, “Babe, that's hot.”
So I'll be here.
Supporting.
Listening.
Offering absolutely unsolicited commentary when requested.
And silently wondering how one person can have such excellent taste in shoes and such questionable taste in men.
Because apparently, love really is blind.
And friendship?
Friendship is the girl standing beside you saying:
“I told you so… but are you okay?”
And honestly?
That's the kind of love that matters too.
No comments:
Post a Comment